Friday, December 15, 2006

"But why Augusten... why?"

A few posts ago I posted the trailer for 'Running With Scissors', a movie based on the novel of the same name, the autobiography of Augusten Burroughs. Ever since I saw this wonderful film I have been hooked on his writings, first starting with 'Dry', the tale of his alcoholism and subsequent trip to rehab. I then tore through 'Sellevision', which I was stunned by how accurate this was, having been able to empathize with all of the home shopping references because of my five years at QVC. I was so into this I spent a recent weekend reading the entire thing, a rarity even for a bookworm like myself. I'm currently working my way through 'Magical Thinking', a collection of (true) short stories.

If you haven't tried any of his books, I can highly recommend them. Very accessible, and written brilliantly. Living in Manhattan and working in advertising, there's lots of references I recognize, especially when he spends time describing locations in Hell's Kitchen (where I used to live), and his tales of dealing with difficult clients and bosses are so perfectly accurate.

I hope they make movies out of all the books, it's been a while since I've been so disappointed to finish reading something.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home